Heartbreak

Doesn't look like my friend has much longer. She was doing so well, but apparently this week they found 4 more new tumors on her spine and she started having issues moving her legs. She went back to the hospital and I heard last night is now on palliative care heading to hospice soon. Selfishly I am so upset that we are to this point already, but I know she has fought hard. The most selfish thing for me to do would be to stay home and not see her through the rest of her journey, but I will not be able to live with that.

It's not fair that a woman this young is debilitated and will ultimately lose her life to cancer. I am upset, I am mad, I am so sad for all the things she will never get to do.

I am thankful that for her last hockey game ever I was there. I was on the ice skating with her, defending my goal as she was trying to score her last one. She would never have let me live it down had I just "let" her skate past me.

She was the one that started calling me Double N. My softball team nickname. She is the reason I had 4 great summers playing softball again.

I just don't know how to say goodbye, how to walk up there and let her know that she has fought well, and it's okay to let go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creeping up on the big 4-0

Alone

My Memory