A local hero is brought home

I saw something this morning that stopped me in my tracks. I was driving into work and I could see 4 cop cars with their lights on, a limo and a hearse. Instantly I remembered reading about a local soldier, Sgt. Daniel Thompson, that had died in Afghanistan, I also remembered that his funeral was tomorrow…they were coming to the airport to pick him up. I looked at the airport and saw that flag flying high, the soldiers already there to help a hero go home. Without realizing it I noticed I had tears streaming down my face, and for that moment he was my hero too. I thought back to when I was told I was being activated after September 11th, I think about all my buddies that have gone over, some coming home, some did not return. I wonder what it would have been like if I went over there. Would I have returned home? Would I have been a hero too? When I was discharged, although honorably, my single guilt was that I didn’t serve overseas with my brothers and sisters in arms. My one regret in life is that I didn’t have a chance to stand shoulder to shoulder with them and watch their backs.
I am proud of having served time, and I know time will help with this but it’s always in the back of my mind.

I have a trip to Canada coming up soon and this will be my first trip without my dear friend Marianne. Marianne grew up to be a Marine that was killed in Iraq, how fitting. Today I will remember my dear friend and others I have lost in this war, I honor their memory, and I was proud to serve with them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creeping up on the big 4-0

Alone

I don't understand