Well Worth The Trip

Last week I went home, for what I believe was my 4th trip since moving out to WI. The reason for the trip was twofold, 1. after Loni’s mom died she really felt that I should go spend more time with my father. 2. An old friend was coming to town from NJ and we have not seen each other in over 10 years so it was a great chance to catch up. I really don’t think that the trip could have gone any better than it did.

Thursday I arrived just after lunch (to a nice veggie sub by the way) and we were able to sit around, eat some yummy black cherries and then left for Grand Rapids to the Whitecaps game. My dad and I had a chance to chat the entire time, to reminisce about his days playing ball in the Army, how Grandpa would have never let him play pro (since they play on Sundays) and how much my dad was starting to say things just like his dad did. It was the best part of the trip was sitting there for that ball game, chatting over a couple of beers.

Friday was a nice slow start to the morning, sitting around the condo, gathering up as many golf balls as I could find and loading my bag, trying out some new clubs my dad was going to let me use and overall trying to figure out how I would keep my ball from zinging off to the right like it ALWAYS does. Anyway, we had a fantastic day on the course, he helped me get a little better, and I only lost 1 ball. The evening brought me out to my cousin’s boat for dinner and drinks. I was lucky enough to spend some time with Kim & Shawn as well as Kim’s husband and kids. What a great time!!! These are the moments that I really miss being closer to family, just to be around them and catch up was a lot of fun.

Saturday I was able to get together with a dear friend from high school, Jen. We have been playing phone tag for years, and have not seen each other since 1997, so we were more than ready to hang out for a while. We spent over 3 hours at Perkins…just talking, reminiscing, laughing, remembering – enjoying the company of a great friend. After hanging out with my parents in the afternoon and helping them purchasing a 50 in flat screen TV…such jealousy :O) Thank you to the wonders of Facebook I was able to get together with one of my oldest childhood friends. Wendy and I have had a complicated relationship, such great friends our whole lives and one of the first people I ever told that I was gay. Out of all the people I told, she was the one I was most nervous about because of her religion. We sort of fell out of touch after that, I was going through some pretty rough things at home and moved to WI. I asked her why she never invited me to her wedding and she said that she tried contacting me, tried my parents, even inviting them. I was supposed to be a bridesmaid for her, but I was never given any messages. Really made me sad that I missed that important day in my friends’ life.

And Sunday I came back to Madison. What a visit. Well worth the trip, great memories of great people. And some more time spent with my dad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creeping up on the big 4-0

Alone

My Memory